If you’re drawn to the name Jade but it doesn’t quite fit your preferences, you’re in luck. We’ve compiled a list of 21 names that are similar in style and sound to Jade, so you’re sure to find a name that speaks to you.
Our selection of names like Jade was curated by a Ph.D. researcher with a passion for baby name data and trends. We used a personal database of over 2000+ names, as well as forums and baby books, to find the best alternatives to Jade. From similar sounding names like Jude and Juno, to names with related meanings like Ruby and Opal, our list has a variety of charming alternatives to Jade that are just waiting for you to discover.
- If you’re looking for a name similar to Jade, there are plenty of options available.
- Our list of 21 names like Jade was compiled by a Ph.D. researcher with a passion for baby name data and trends.
- From similar sounding names to names with related meanings, our list has a variety of charming alternatives to Jade.
Jade Name Meaning and Popularity
Jade is a beautiful girl name that comes from English origins and means “precious gemstone”. The gemstone jade was believed to bring luck and bravery, and was even used as a treatment for babies with colic. Jade’s beautiful green color is why the name is one of the favorite names for green eyes.
Jade is a punchy, effortless name choice that is recognizable, spell-able, and is easily worn into adulthood. It stands out amongst the sea of flowing, vowel-heavy girl names popular today.
Jade has been a steady favorite in the United States for the last four decades. It was also a chart topper across Europe and Australia in the 1990s. It may come as a surprise to learn that Jade was at one point considered a gender-neutral name. It appeared on the U.S. Top 1000 list for boys from 1968 to 2001.
Jade has a cultural significance in many countries, including China where it is a symbol of good luck, prosperity, and protection. In Greek and Latin cultures, jade is associated with harmony, strength, and healing. In Hebrew, it is a symbol of purity.
Jade is a perfect name for parents who want a unique name that is also traditional. It is a popular choice for middle names and nicknames. Some famous people with the name Jade include Jade Jagger, the daughter of Mick Jagger, and Jade Thirlwall, a member of the girl group Little Mix.
Names Like Jade
- Adelaide is a lovely name of German origins that means “noble” and is also a place name after the city in Australia. It has a similar name vibe and feel to Jade. Despite its three syllables and flowing, soft vowels, it is one of the very few girl names that end with a ‘d’ sound.
- Astrid is a concise punch of a name that has a similar name vibe and feel to Jade. It is originally a Scandinavian name that means “divine beauty”.
- Blythe is definitely a less obvious alternative to Jade than other names on this list. It comes from English and Scottish origins and means “cheerful”. If you like Jade’s brevity and gender-neutral roots, you should take a look at Blythe.
- Gemma is a name similar to Jade in meaning, coming from Italian, and means “precious gemstone,” just like Jade.
- Jewel is an easy alternative to Jade. They are both short J names that mean gemstone. Jewel was most popular in the early 1900’s and would fit in well among grandma-revival names that are so popular today.
- Jolie is a lovely French originating name that means “pretty.” If you’re attracted to Jade’s opening J and simplicity, then consider Jolie.
- Jude is closest alternative to the name Jade on the list based on look and sound. Its one-letter swap makes Jude a distinct name with its own style, but with the semblance of Jade. Jude comes from Hebrew and Latin and means “praised”.
- Jules is another pithy J-name that strikes a similar note as Jade. The name comes from Latin and means “youthful”.
- June has a bit lighter touch than Jade, but still has many of the same great features. Like Jules, June also means “youth” coming from Latin origins.
- Juniper is a few more syllables than Jade but has a similar modern, nature vibe. It currently has a comparable name popularity ranking as Jade, though it has been fast on the rise.
- Juno and Jade are similar as four-letter J names, but they also share moxie. In Roman mythology, Juno was the queen of the gods.
- Kate has a similar pluckiness to Jade. It is short and sweet, while still being reputable. Kate comes from the full name Katherine, which itself comes from the Greek katharos meaning “pure”.
- Lane has a similar no-frills feel as Jade and also comes from gender-neutral origins. Lane is of English origins and means “pathway.”
- Lark may be a great alternative if you’re attracted to the earthy vibe of Jade. It enjoys a similar simplicity and nature feel as Jade, while also being a more unique pick.
- Opal is another great gemstone name option. The spelling is cool, and it has the same directness as Jade. Opal has more of an old lady vibe than Jade, which is great for those looking to join the grandma-name trend.
- Rain is a short, neutral nature name akin to Jade. Both names have a similar coolness factor.
- Ruby is a well-known and easy name, reaching peak popularity in the 1910’s and 1920’s. Ruby is again climbing the charts and has been a top 100 name for the last decade.
- Sade is a unique and bold alternative to Jade. Sade has roots in both Yoruba and Finnish. In Yoruba, Sade means “honor earns a crown” and in Finnish it means “rain”.
- Sage has such a similar style and feel to Jade. It is concise, neutral, nature-y, and fashionable all in the same ways as Jade.
- Slade is such a unique name that most people will not associate it with a specific gender, making it a primed for crossover. It is a rare pick and a hot trend right now.
- Wren is a succinct name without any pomp and circumstance. You expect a similar confidence and frankness of future Wren’s and Jade’s with their no-nonsense names. Wren is gaining momentum quickly and is expected to reach similar popularity as Jade in the coming years.