If you’re looking for names with a sharp edge, a tough vibe, or inspired by iconic mean girls from pop culture, you’re in the right place. This curated list of girl names with a little edge has been analyzed for name trends, dived into forums, and researched pop culture to bring you the best options out there.
Before we dive in, it’s important to clarify that “mean girl names” is not meant to be a judgment on a name or person. It’s simply a way to capture a style of name based on pop culture associations. These names have been selected based on their place in pop culture and the vibes they give off, not because they are inherently “mean.” Remember, names do not define character and this site never judges names.
So, whether you’re naming a character in your story or just enjoy the allure of “mean girl” style names, keep reading for some great options.
- This article provides a curated list of girl names with a little edge, inspired by pop culture associations.
- The term “mean girl names” is not meant to be a judgment on a name or person, but simply a way to capture a style of name.
- Remember, names do not define character and this site never judges names.
What Makes a Name a Mean Girl Name?
A mean girl name typically evokes an image of a confident, self-assured, and sometimes manipulative or ruthless person. These names are often associated with personality traits such as snobbishness, judgmental, and often participates in gossip and social manipulation. They may have a sense of sophistication and style, making them seem cool and popular but also intimidating.
It’s important to note that a name does not determine a person’s character. This list is for entertainment purposes and to inspire writers looking for the perfect name for a fictional mean girl character. Mean girl names can be found in movies, TV shows, or books. Some examples include Caroline Bingley from Pride and Prejudice, Gretchen from Mean Girls, and Santana from Glee.
If you’re looking for a name for a mean girl character, consider using a name that is popular or trendy. You can also opt for a name that is associated with wealth or status. However, it’s important to remember that a name alone does not make a character. The personality traits and actions of the character are what truly define them.
Iconic Mean Girl Names from Pop Culture
Mean girls have been a staple in pop culture for decades, with their attitude, style, and memorable moments. Here are some of the most iconic mean girl names from movies, television shows, and books.
Mean Girls on TV
1. Blair: Blair Waldorf is a wealthy and cunning socialite from the television series “Gossip Girl,” known for her manipulations and elite status. Her character is a perfect example of a mean girl who is both intelligent and ruthless.
2. Cheryl: Cheryl Blossom is a wealthy and privileged character from the television series “Riverdale.” She is known for her snobbish and manipulative behavior towards others, especially her peers.
3. Mona: Mona Vanderwaal is a clever and manipulative mean girl character from the television series “Pretty Little Liars.” Her character is one of the most complex mean girls on the show, with a backstory that explains her motivations.
4. Nellie: Nellie Olseon was a mean girl in the 1800s as a spoiled and bratty character in the “Little House on the Prairie.” Her character is a classic example of a mean girl who is selfish and entitled.
5. Bree: Bree was a mean girl in the TV show Glee played by actress Erinn Westbrook. Her character is known for her snobbish and elitist attitude towards others.
6. Quinn: Quinn Fabray was a popular and ambitious high school cheerleader who often exhibits mean girl behavior in pursuit of social dominance. Her character is a classic example of a mean girl who is both ambitious and ruthless.
7. Cordelia: Cordelia Chase was originally a mean girl character on “Buffy the Vampire Slayer,” but enjoyed a redemption arc as the show progressed. Her character is a perfect example of a mean girl who learns from her mistakes and becomes a better person.
8. Alison: Alison DiLaurentis is the enigmatic and manipulative queen bee from the television series “Pretty Little Liars,” known for her ability to control and intimidate others. Her character is a classic example of a mean girl who is both intelligent and ruthless.
Movie Mean Girls
9. Amber: Amber von Tussle is a privileged and spoiled antagonist in the movie Hairspray. Her character is a classic example of a mean girl who is both entitled and selfish.
10. Heather: Heather Chandler, Heather Duke, and Heather McNamara are the ruthless popular clique from the movie Heathers. Their characters are classic examples of mean girls who are both ruthless and manipulative.
11. Kathryn: Kathryn Merteuil, the manipulative and vindictive character in “Cruel Intentions,” is known for her scheming and seductive ways. Her character is a classic example of a mean girl who is both manipulative and intelligent.
12. Regina: Regina George, the ultimate mean girl’s name from the movie Mean Girls, is the epitome of high school queen bee. Her character is a classic example of a mean girl who is both popular and ruthless.
13. Sharpay: Sharpay Evans is the ambitious and self-centered queen bee in High School Musical. Her character is a classic example of a mean girl who is both ambitious and entitled.
14. Taylor: Taylor Vaughn is the epitome of high school mean girl as the popular and mean-spirited cheerleader from the classic teen romcom, “She’s All That.” Her character is a classic example of a mean girl who is both popular and ruthless.
15. Veronica: Veronica Sawyer is the protagonist turns into the ultimate mean girl in the movie Heathers. Her character is a classic example of a mean girl who is both intelligent and ruthless.
16. Madison: Madison is the mean girl character in the film adaption of DUFF: Designated Ugly Fat Friend. Her character is a classic example of a mean girl who is both popular and ruthless.
Mean Girl Names from Books
17. Caroline: Caroline Bingley is a snobbish and vain character from Jane Austen’s classic novel “Pride and Prejudice.” Her character is a classic example of a mean girl who is both snobbish and entitled.
18. Faye: Faye Chamberlain is a witch in pursuit of more powers in the “Secret Circle” series by L.J. Smith. Her character is a classic example of a mean girl who is both ambitious and ruthless.
19. Ingrid: Ingrid Magnussen is a manipulative and murderous mother character in “White Oleander” by Janet Fitch. Her character is a classic example of a mean girl who is both manipulative and intelligent.
20. Massie: Massie is the bossy queen bee in “The Clique” by Lisi Harrison. The character has
Sharp and Edgy Girl Names
If you’re looking for a name that exudes confidence and a little bit of attitude, then you might want to consider some of these sharp and edgy girl names. These names have a certain boldness and edge to them that make them perfect for those who want to stand out from the crowd.
Here are some of the best sharp and edgy girl names to consider:
|This name has a bold and fiery feel to it, perhaps in thanks to its association with the bold color red.
|A Latin-derived name that means “strong,” making it an on-point name for a strong-willed girl.
|A name inspired by nature, Ivy has a mysterious and perhaps sinister vibe.
|Raven is a name that can have dark and brooding associations, thanks in part to its Edgar Allan Poe association.
|Named after the Roman goddess of love and beauty, Venus has a powerful and seductive aura.
|Lilith has been associated with darkness, rebellion against God, and evil through literature and mythology, giving this name a defiant edge.
|Morgana sounds conspicuous and strong, making it a great name for someone of prominence with hidden depths.
|In addition to being a name, Ida is a type of West African sword, making it literally a sharp name for a girl.
|A Scandinavian name meaning “divine beauty,” Astrid has a sharp and sophisticated sound.
|A strong German name that means “strength of a spear,” making it a timeless and truly sharp name.
These names are perfect for parents who want their daughters to have names that are both strong and unique. Whether you’re looking for a name with a bold and fiery feel like Scarlett or a name with a mysterious and sinister vibe like Ivy, there’s sure to be a name on this list that will suit your tastes.
So if you’re looking for a name that will make your daughter stand out from the crowd and exude confidence, consider one of these sharp and edgy girl names.
Tough and Strong Mean Girl Names
If you’re looking for a name that evokes strength and resilience, you’re in the right place. These names are perfect for a mean girl character who doesn’t back down from a challenge.
Alexis: Alexis is a name that commands respect. It has a no-nonsense sound that can hold its own in any situation.
Athena: Athena is one of the toughest girl names out there, perfect for a mean girl. Named after the Greek goddess of war, this name has a powerful and commanding presence.
Brianna: This name means “strong and virtuous,” making it perfect for a character who is tough and determined.
Cameron: Unisex Cameron has a strong and modern feel, making it a great choice for a self-assured mean girl.
Delilah: Though Delilah has a soft sound, its association as a bad girl in the bible who uses her charms to trick and take down a powerful man gives it a cunning and powerful edge.
Matilda: Matilda is an English name that means “strength in battle,” perfect for a strong mean girl name of someone out to get what she wants.
Isa: Isa is a fashionable name fitting of a mean girl. This strapping name means “strong-willed” coming from German.
Jordan: A unisex name with an air of strength and independence, Jordan is a fitting choice for a strong-willed character.
Kendall: Kendall has a modern and assertive vibe, thanks in part to socialite titan Kendall Jenner, making it a great name for a character who isn’t afraid to go after what she wants.
Cassandra: Cassandra has a great meaning for a strong girl. The name means “to excel” and also has roots in Greek mythology.
These names are perfect for a mean girl character who is tough, determined, and unafraid to go after what she wants. Whether you’re writing a book, a screenplay, or just need inspiration for a character name, these tough and strong mean girl names are sure to fit the bill.
Girl Names with a Hint of Mischief
If you’re looking for a name for your mean girl character that exudes playfulness and mischievousness, then you’re in the right place. Here are some girl names with a hint of mischief that you might want to consider.
|A playful and disarming name that would be perfect for a trickster girl.
|Ranked #50 in the US in 2021
|Meaning “happiness,” Felicity is a charming girl name that conjures up images of the bold but sometimes reckless American Girl.
|Ranked #364 in the US in 2021
|A Greek goddess of mischief and ruin, Aite is a unique and edgy name.
|Not ranked in the US
|A glittering name that means “gemstone.” Gemma has a captivating quality that makes it perfect for a mischievous character.
|Ranked #298 in the US in 2021
|A trendy and spunky name that was known as a sassy and leading maid in the 1940s comic.
|Ranked #28 in the US in 2021
|A classy and lively name that means “maiden.” Imogen is perfect for a character who loves stirring up trouble.
|Not ranked in the US
|The name Jasmine feels like a name for a spirited and strong-willed girl, thanks to the association with the independent and resourceful Disney character.
|Ranked #117 in the US in 2021
|An on-the-nose name for a trickster that exudes playfulness and mischief.
|Not ranked in the US
|With its fun and flirty sound, Lola is a name that’s perfect for a character who loves to be the life of the party.
|Ranked #236 in the US in 2021
|This classic unisex name can also be a subtle nod to mischief, thanks to it also being the name of the trickster Puck in Shakespeare’s A Midsummer Night’s Dream.
|Ranked #970 in the US in 2021
Other girl names with a hint of mischief that you might want to consider include Sass, Lydia, Madelyn, and Honora. These names are unique and edgy, perfect for a mean girl character who likes to stir up trouble.
I hope this list of edgy girl names has given you some inspiration for your name list. Remember, these names were chosen based on their associations and vibes, and are not inherently mean. Our intention is to entertain and inspire, not to label or stigmatize anyone. If you’re interested in more unconventional names, you may also enjoy our list of boyish girl names. Keep exploring and have fun finding the perfect name for your little one!